Klaustur Chapel

The chapel at Kirkjubæjarklaustur was consecrated in 1974. It was built in the memory of reverend Jón Steingrímsson fire clerk, the man that sang the famous Eldmessa (Fire Mass) on July 20th 1783. At that time the Skaftá Fire eruption threatened habitation in the area and many believe that reverend Jón’s Fire Mass stopped the stream of lava headed for Klaustur.

The place where the lava stream stopped is now called Eldmessutangi but the chapel is situated a little to the east of the old church site.